Sorry-had to throw a little ZZ Top in there, but it works. Anyway I haven’t really gotten a lot done on the desk since the last post, and the main reason is I couldn’t decide how to shape the legs. They’re just being made from 2×2 poplar stock from the BORG, but I didn’t want to just leave them square. I really wanted to try some Greene & Greene style (a la Darrell Peart), but my skills and time just aren’t there quite yet. Turning is out of the question as I have no lathe-yet. So, inspiration hit me when I saw a Rockler ad that had their Tapering Jig on sale for $15. I threw in a couple hold down clamps to the order so I could also get free shipping, and I was in business. The package was delivered Friday-perfect timing for a good weekend in the shop. Once I got the jig put together, I set my table saw up again (it came with a collapsible stand and shares the space with my Workmate), and after a few test cuts to get the angle I liked, I started by cutting the first side, reset the jig, rotated the wood 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and cut the second face. Now I just have to remove the saw marks. Time to break out the hand planes-finally!
Next up-the aprons. I might even try my hand at a little mortise & tenon just to see what happens. Tune in!